Monday, May 19, 2014

INSIDE THE INDUSTRY: Advice from Development Coordinator Allie Stone



Allie Stone is both the assistant to MysticArt Pictures CEO Katy Wallin and the Development Coordinator for the company. She also lends a hand on every show at MysticArt Pictures and helps support film and television projects in production. She is excited to hear from people who know they could star in a reality show, and encourages charismatic and outgoing people from all over the country to apply for MysticArt shows. 


Where did you go to school, and what did you go to school for?
I went to Boston University for Film and Television, and I graduated in 2011 after finishing a 4-year program within 2.5 years.

Where did you work before coming to MysticArt Pictures?
When I first moved to LA I reached out to my contacts from internships I had done in college, and through an agent I interned for at WME I got a job assisting a film director. After the director moved out of state, I was an assistant at a PR company before landing my job at MysticArt. It was definitely a range of experience.

What first made you interested in development?
I’ve always loved great stories. I love reading and films and television for those plots that suck you in. All of my internships were connected to development in some way, and I found that I really enjoyed searching for those new and unique ways to share someone’s life experiences. Unscripted development is just that – figuring out the best, most engaging way to tell a story. It fits perfectly with everything I like!

What advice would you give to someone who would like to develop a show idea?
Be willing to let your baby go. This is something I learned early on. You cannot let yourself be hurt or insulted if someone doesn’t like the way you’ve presented your idea or if they have suggestions for how to make it better. Outside voices are essential to development and you have to be willing to listen to various opinions to create the best show possible.

A big part of your job involves writing. What do you do when you have writer’s block, but you’re working against a deadline?
When I have writer’s block I need to work through it as soon as possible. My go-to is to think back to things in my life that have really happened and imagine how they might have played out differently. This helps spark new ways to phrase what I am trying to say and get the creative thoughts flowing.

What advice would you give to someone who has just graduated from college and is trying to get their first job in the industry?
I will not sugarcoat this: this is a hard industry to break into. I had four internships through college and kept in touch with my internship bosses. If you do have internships, make sure you check in with the people you formed relationships with as you are getting close to graduation. When you are applying for jobs, have a clear idea of what kind of job you want and a solid pitch for why you are the perfect person for that position. Be relentless. Do not stop applying, even if you get a “just for now” job to help you pay the bills. I was so lucky that Katy took a chance and hired me from what must have been hundreds of applicants, but I also may have stood out because I am old-fashioned and delivered a thank you note for the interview just a few hours after I left the office.

What qualities make someone a good entertainment assistant?
Be extremely conscientious and have a no-job-is-too-small attitude. Be organized, timely, and detail-oriented. Keep up with industry news and trends and always open yourself to learning more about the business. Assisting a producer and casting director like Katy is such a multifaceted job that I never fully know what my day will look like…one phone call can throw off my entire schedule, so I would say you also have to be able to roll with change. Don’t sweat the small stuff and never let yourself get overwhelmed!

What attracted you to working at MysticArt Pictures?
While I wasn’t cornering myself into this when I was applying for jobs, I was hoping to find a company with female leadership, which is unfortunately still a rarity in this business. It is so important to encourage young women to rise through the ranks in such a male-dominated industry, and I was excited to learn that MysticArt was hiring and its CEO and founder was Katy Wallin, who co-founded the Women’s Image Network. MysticArt also champions projects that are inspiring and aspirational, and that is the type of environment I knew I wanted for a workplace.