Friday, April 11, 2014

INSIDE THE INDUSTRY: Advice from Casting Producer Sammy Amiransari


Sammy Amiransari has been an on-staff Casting Producer at MysticArt Pictures for four years. Sammy started out her career in entertainment as a talent agent after receiving her MBA. In 2003, she began her career in casting and has worked on many game shows, docu-series, and scripted series, as well as casting hosts for series of every variety.








1. Where did you go to school, and what did you go to school for?

I got my BA in Visual Communications at American Intercontinental University in Los Angeles, near Marina Del Ray. I continued on there and got my MBA in Business. I thought I was going to do A&R in the music industry, but life took me down a different path...I'm a big music lover and always will be. 

2. Where did you work before getting in to the casting world? How did you make the transition to casting?

After college I got an internship at Interscope Records because I thought I was going the music route, and from there I got a job at Premiere Talent & Modeling Agency. I started out as a booker, handling the promo-models and slowly worked my way up to agent, and during my last year there was agency director. I was young and learned fast, but slowly realized I wanted to do more creative and less business, so I left the agency. Shortly after, a casting director friend of mine asked me if I wanted to try reality casting. She was working at "Extreme Dating" for FOX and could use another person. I started as a casting coordinator, which is what associates were called back then, and loved it! By my next show I was senior casting coordinator and a few shows later was a casting producer. 

3. As someone raised in Los Angeles, what advice would you have for someone moving to LA with no contacts who is hoping to break in to the industry, on the talent or business side?

I was born in Tehran, Iran, but moved here when I was just one year old. So in my heart and mind I am a Los Angeles Native. I’ve always felt that LA was a city that welcomed everyone, and the way you succeed in all the beauty and Hollywood drama is based on how much you believe in yourself, how driven you are, and why you are doing what you are doing. If you want to be an actress, reality star or even work on the business side of the industry for instant fame and disposable money, you will get eaten alive. If acting/reality casting is what you want to do, start by taking classes or workshops – this will help you connect with people with the same passion...don't just start going to bars and clubs hoping to make connections, because you will meet all the wrong people.  If you want to get into the business side, get into an internship program at a company that interest you. We have one here at MysticArt and have promoted so many from within the program. My advice would be to make the right connections, surround yourself with the right crowd, and make sure your passion is real and not an illusion of what you think the industry is about.  

4. As a casting producer, you talk to some of the most unique people across the country. What advice would you give to someone who wants to be on a show or star in their own television show? How should they show off their personality and world to a production company?  

The one line I hear more than any other is, "Everyone tells me I should have my own show"...yet they can never tell me why. If you have a business that makes you unique, or if your family is unusual and entertaining, you should really be able to pinpoint why. Stand out...what makes you so different from anyone else I may have interviewed?! Why would I not change the channel when you are on, and how would you keep the viewer interested? We are always looking for characters, but sometimes I'm just looking for someone to be real and be who they naturally are. So read the fine print on a casting call and give them exactly what they are asking for...no fluff...no lies...just be real and fun to watch!

5. As someone who works in development, what advice do you have for someone who wants to pitch a show idea?

Really have your idea flushed out. What is the show? Who is the audience? What network do you see your show airing on? If your idea is similar to something that is already on air, why is yours different? One mistake I see more than any other is someone will have a great idea, but they haven't done their research, they don't have a cast, and they haven't taken the time to perfect their pitch. Really sell your show – ultimately if you are not excited about your show, how can you expect me or any network to be?

6. What can actors/actresses do to make an impression when they are auditioning for a scripted series?

Get as familiar with the project and character as you can. Do your best to be off book. I want to be able to see your face and eyes when you are reading for me, so if you are looking down at your sides, there is no connection. Most of all, don't go in for a part you are not excited about or not interested in; taking an audition just to make a connection is the worst career move ever...you are wasting my time, your agent’s time, and your own time. If you feel you are wrong for the part, be upfront and honest with your agent.

7. You have cast many unscripted series for MysticArt. What are some things that people who end up appearing on unscripted series have in common? What did they do in their interviews to stand out?

When their interview was over, I remembered everything about them! They kept my interest from the moment the interview started whatever the topic may have been, and had a personality that was hard to forget.

8. You have worked with many celebrities throughout your career. In your opinion, what should actors/actresses just starting out do to help jumpstart their careers and obtain long-term success?

The celebrities I admire the most are the ones that have stayed humble and really were driven by their passion for their art. Be a constant student...you can always continue to grow and learn. Make sure you are grounded and stay real, and don't lose yourself in the game.

9. What makes MysticArt Pictures unique?  
We’re unique because we’re like a “one-stop shop.” If you work with MysticArt, you are working with a company that can carry a project from inception to completion, whether it is scripted or unscripted TV or film. We also have something that absolutely no other casting company has – a massive database of people from all over the world and of all walks of life, which really helps when we are looking for those “needle in a haystack” personalities.