Wednesday, May 28, 2014

INSIDE THE INDUSTRY: Advice from Casting Coordinator Erin Wilt


Erin Wilt is a casting coordinator at MysticArt Pictures for one of MysticArt’s hit shows for TLC and we are very proud that she completed our Internship Program! She is an amazing addition to our team and MysticArt is so excited to see her grow through new opportunities within the company. 



1.    Where did you go to school, and what did you go to school for?
I received my B.A. in Broadcast Communications from Temple University in Philadelphia, PA. 
2.    You recently completed the MysticArt Pictures Internship Program. What motivated you to apply?
I had recently moved to Los Angeles from the East Coast and was trying to break into the industry. I had a few years in production under my belt but I hadn’t been gaining much traction out here. Mystic’s program was the one and only Internship I applied for. I think what attracted me to their particular program was the opportunity for learning. 
3.    What skills did you learn during your time in the MysticArt Pictures Internship Program?
Casting was a whole new arena for me, but within the first few weeks of the program, I had seen all aspects of the process. I was given the opportunity to learn about everything from booking auditions to how to log interviews. But I think the most important thing I’ve learned at Mystic - and about casting overall - is that everyone has a brand. And understanding that brand can really open a person up and help you get to know them and their story.  
4.    How do you feel the Internship Program prepared you when you were hired with the company? What additional training did you need once you became a casting assistant? 
For me personally, I think being able to watch in the room with the casting producers during my Internship; getting familiar with the overall interview process was the most beneficial. When I was hired, I ended up writing story profiles for each contestant auditioning for Wipeout. Nothing could have prepared me for writing literally hundreds of story profiles on Wipeout! But it was the most fun to be in that room and to get to document that energy!
5.    You are currently coordinating TLC’s Sex Sent Me to the ER. What skills do you think are important for a coordinator to have?
Coordinators first and foremost have to be organized, there’s no getting around it! Sex Sent Me to the ER is a huge project and it takes a lot of organization to keep it all straight. I think a coordinator should be good at assisting their team, in whatever form that takes. For this particular show, I’m handling the paperwork and keeping track of the team’s progress, but I’m also scheduling promotional radio spots and helping with the social media, among other tasks. A coordinator should be prepared and enthused to wear many hats.
6.    As someone who was hired after an internship program, what advice would you give to people who are also in internship programs and are hoping to be hired at the same company?
The whole point of an internship is to learn, so don’t be afraid to get in there! I found the more I showed an interest in learning, the more opportunity I was given to do just that and it certainly paid off. 
7.    What are your career goals within the television industry?
I moved to L.A. with a background in production and with the intention of working as a Production Coordinator, so I think being a Casting Coordinator is certainly in line with that. But for me, the most exciting part about moving to the hub of this industry was the realization that I could explore new areas. Casting and development were not things I had considered much before moving here, but now are areas that are truly exciting to me and I can’t wait to see where I go from here!